Making simple bread loafs are not quite easy when pursued perfection but ‘pre-made sheets‘ integrated into a basic bread loaf can be a quite fun and rather impressive. These ‘pre-made sheets’ can be made with many other ingredients, although my all time favorite tends to be the ‘pumpkin sheet’.
Pumpkin Twist Loaf Bread Recipe –
- Bread Flour (100%) 175g
- Cake Flour (100%) 175g
- Salt (1.6%) 5.6g
- Sugar (10%) 35g
- Dry Yeast (0.85%) 3g
- Unsalted Butter (5.7%) 49g – mix in with the dough
- Cream (8%) 28g
- Egg Yolk (6%) 21g
- Milk (56%) 196g
- Pumpkin Sheet
<Pumpkin Sheet> Recipe –
- Cake Flour 10g
- Mashed Pumpkin 120g
- Corn Starch 5g
- Sugar 30g
- Milk 1 Tbsp
- Rum 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon Powder 1/4 Tsp
- Unsalted Butter 5g
< Pumpkin Sheet >
- Mix the flour, pumpkin, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon powder and milk with whisker.
- Heat it in the microwave (600W) for about 60 seconds.
- Check the batter, microwave for another 120 seconds for an additional 120 seconds.
- Add the unsalted butter and rum and blend it will into the mixture.
- Using a double lined plastic wrap, spread the mixture on top and spread it to a 15cm x 18cm size (about 5mm thickness) and refrigerate to produce a ‘solid sheet’.
< DOUGH >
- <MIX> Mix all the dry ingredients except for butter. If you are using dry yeast, not required pre-fermentation, add the dry yeast at this point. If you are using fresh yeast, dissolve the fresh yeast into the water before use. (Note : Unless you are using a yeast specifically instructed without need for pre-fermentation, mix the dry yeast and let it dilute and ferment in warm water for about 15 minutes before use.)
- Combine the cream, milk and egg yolk and add to the flour and mix for 5 minutes.
- Once the dough surface becomes relatively smooth, add the (soft) butter and mix for an additional 5 minutes.
- <REST TIME/FLOOR TIME> Cover the dough with plastic to prevent it from drying and let it rest for 60 minutes in room temperature and punch the dough.
- <OVERNIGHT PROOF> (LOW TEMPERATURE FERMENTATION) Leave the dough in a plastic container at 4~6C for approx. 10〜24 hours.
<NORMAL PROOF> 60~90 minutes at 28~30C
- <RESTORING IT TO ROOM TEMPERATURE> Leave the dough to restore back to room temperature.
- Grease you baking tin. I would use a rectangular loaf tin.
- Flour the bread-board, removing the dough from the container using a dredge or cutting card, making sure your do not pull the dough, prevent from excess damage.
- (Try to) Leave the dough in a rectangular shape and using a dredge or cutting card, flattening the dough slightly so the pumpkin sheet may be wrapped inside the dough.
- <BENCH TIME> Let the dough rest for approx. 10~20minutes. Prevent from the surface to dry.
Using a rolling pin, stretch the dough to a size so the (vertical) pumpkin sheet can be entirely wrapped. (If your pumpkin sheet is W15cm x L18cm, the dough should be about W30cm x L19cm)
Fold the each of 1/3 of the dough to the center and close off the end seam with your fingers.
Cut the dough to 3 pieces and weave the dough.
- <FINAL PROOF > Place the dough at 29~30C/60min~90min.
- <BAKING> Glace the surface with egg and bake at 180C/30minutes.
Apple Roll Bread
Using the same dough as the pumpkin twist loaf, applying the same bread making technique similar to the cinnamon rolls; the bread can become an finger friendly – apple roll bread. A combination of cooked apples with raisins fills and integrates the white dough.